Apparently, mornings are great for catching worms , but all I want to do is catch some more snooze minutes. Waking up early can be a jarring experience. Who wants to let go of that beautiful dream you had and got to work. But unfortunately we are adults, we have responsibilities and other jazz.
I follow a morning routine that makes sure I have a good start to the day. You can also follow few or all of these steps to make your morning experience a little bit easier:
- Don’t jerk yourself awake with a horrendous alarm ringtone. Set it to a soothing tone that increases intensity gradually so that you don’t wake up with a fright.
- Another way to wake yourself up gently is by keeping the curtains or windows open so that the sunlight naturally wakes you up. Your body is naturally equipped to wake up when the light filters in. If your room does not get enough light you can use an artificial wake-up light.
- Wake up 15 minutes earlier so that you can just laze for a little bit instead of jumping out of bed and rushing out.
- Make a habit of working out in the morning so that you don’t have to chalk out time to do it later in the day. Especially not after work. Sleep in your work-out clothes so that you can hop out of bed and get to it immediately. There are many benefits to adding exercise into your morning routine.
- Listen to some upbeat music in the morning to get you pumped up. Something that makes you want to dance. You could listen to some of these tunes which Thought Catalogue has suggested to wake you up (My personal favorite is #5). Or, you know if you like Metal, that could work too.
- Plan out your day when you’re done with the 15 minute lazing. It will help you be more productive. Make a to-do list for the important things you have to accomplish today. You can either use an application like any.do or just a note in your diary will also do.
- Decide what you are going to wear the night before and keep everything ready so that you don’t have to stress about it in the morning.
- Don’t spend too much time in the shower. 10 minutes max. Otherwise, you will have to rush up the other things have to do in the morning. Keep the scrubbing and exfoliating for the weekends.
- The most important tip of all: Sleep early enough to catch at least 7 hours of sleep. You’re going to be yawning throughout the day if you haven’t had enough sleep and waking up will obviously be extra difficult. Lack of sleep can jeopardize your daily routine and can make you dysfunctional. Beware.
- Don’t have a heavy breakfast. I repeat. Do not have a heavy breakfast! It will make you feel drowsy and want to crawl back into bed.
- Do the most important and difficult task of the day, first. It makes you feel like nothing else you do could have been as hard as that. The smaller easier tasks are a cake walk after that.
- Follow up this morning routine with a night routine. Before you wind down for the day, spend some time to make your next day easier.
Well, the most successful people of the world have one thing in common.
“They take their morning’s seriously.”
Trust me, you will see a significant increase in your productivity levels if you wake up early and follow the above daily routine. With just a little tweak in your morning routine, you will start seeing changes in your life for the better. The key is Discipline. A daily routine is a start to a disciplined life.
PS: If you want more of such life hacks, do not forget to subscribe to the Jobspire Blog.